Many activities entail using a headphone, and there are various headphones that best suit these activities. People find it quite challenging to choose the perfect set of headphones, even when they have a drawer full of multiple brands and types.
Three of the most common headphones today are Wireless Headphones, 3.5mm Headphones, and USB Headphones. If you look carefully, you can choose a befitting headphone from these three, regardless of your activity.
To make it easier for you, we will explain how each of these headphones works and their benefits.
Today, wireless gadgets seem to be more in vogue. Mainly because of wireless technologies such as Bluetooth and infrared. For wireless headphones, Bluetooth is more popular. Apart from their compatibility with most devices, people fancy them for convenience and aesthetics.
They also have some advantages over 3.5mm headphones and USB headphones. A wireless headphone does not limit movements like those you have to tether to your gadgets, and this makes them the best option for activities such as exercises.
What’s more interesting is that many wireless headphone manufacturers have come up with other features to ensure that users stick to just these products. Hence, most wireless headphones today are water-resistant. Water-resistance automatically makes them sweat resistant and the perfect choice for a workout session. They are also lightweight, produce quality sound, and allow strong connection over a long distance.
What are the Benefits of Using A Wireless Headphone?
Some of the benefits of a wireless headphone that makes people consider them over 3.5mm and USB headphones include the following:
- With a wireless headphone, as long as you have a Bluetooth enabled device, you may not have to bother about USB headphones. Answering calls are easier, and you do not have to move about with your phones.
- Because wireless headphones are equipped with some of the latest technologies, they have good sound qualities. They also come with noise filtering and bass enhancing features.
- Connection over a long distance is another benefit you cannot take away from a quality wireless headset. USB and 3.5mm headphones will only restrict you to the length of the wire. You even have to be careful how to move around with the headset to ensure that they do not fall off, or worse, damage your phone or laptop. However, with a wireless headset, you can remain connected over a distance of about 50 meters away from your device.
- Since many devices are Bluetooth enabled, you can do more with a wireless headset than USB headphones and 3.5mm headphones.
- Today, many people are fashion savvy; hence wired headsets do not cut it for them. Some of them even see wired headphones as conventional and unsophisticated.
The 3.5mm headphones are also known as analog headsets. They are a perfect option for devices that have soundcard incorporations.
They work with a single cord, each having a 3.5mm plug end. One of the ends will connect to the headphone input, while the other connects to the device output. When you plug in a 3.5mm headphone, it will automatically replace any other audio accessory on your computer.
3.5mm audio jacks are no longer standard in smartphones released today, which majorly accounts for their scarcity. So, before choosing a 3.5 headphone over a wireless and type USB headset, you must consider many factors. Some of them include:
- The availability of a 3.5mm audio jack in your device
- Location of the audio jack
- Cost of the 3.5mm headphone etc.
NB: If you connect a 3.5mm headphone to your laptop and hear a scratching or hissing sound, you will be better off with a USB headphone. The noise means that the headphones are not compatible with the device’s soundcard.
What are the Benefits of Using A 3.5mm Headphone?
Some of the reasons why you should pick a 3.5mm headphone over wireless and USB headphones include:
- You cannot take away from conventional tech products because of their simplicity, which applies to 3.5mm headphones. They will seamlessly plug into the regular audio jacks and ports of a computer without needing drivers
- A 3.5mm headphone is relatively cheaper than other options. So if you are on a tight budget, this will be the best choice for you.
- 3.5mm headphones are the best choice when working with laptops that have high-end motherboards. They require quality sound before you can get the best out of them. This is why they are a good gaming headphone.
- Unlike wireless headphones, analog headphones are not powered by a battery, so you won’t have to bother about limiting their time usage.
USB headphones are designed for the adjustability of sound quality when connected to a computer. Unlike 3.5mm headphones, they do not produce noise because they do not depend on a soundcard for sound quality.
They are the best option for gamers and also great for telecommunication in business. When you plug a USB headphone into your computer, you do not have to define its functionality. The computer will detect the headphone and automatically install the drivers. Also, USB headphones usually come with a button to control volume and microphone.
What are the Benefits of Using a USB Headphone?
Some of the benefits of a USB headphone include the following:
- Unlike the 3.5mm headphone, a USB headphone will not produce noise because it is a digital headphone that does not rely on a computer’s motherboard for audio qualities.
- The headphone USB connector is very easy to install and uninstall. You do not have to be tech-savvy to do this.
- A USB headphone has features that improve the accuracy of speech recognition. Its microphone sits carefully at the mouth to carefully recognize voices; therefore, it is ideal for voice-over artists and online gamers.
- It has a lightweight and well adjustable headband to make it comfortable to use over a long period and fit everyone regardless of head size. A USB headphone also has soft ear cups, and you won’t feel any pressure against your ears.
- A USB headphone incorporates noise filtering features that allow crisp speaking, so gamers use them for games such as COD multiplayer that involves a lot of noise.
- It can work for long hours since it does not depend on a power source of batteries that deteriorates over time.
When Should I Use Wireless Headphones, 3.5mm Headphones, or USB Headphones?
If all you need is headphones to listen to music, then the best option for you is wireless headphones. They are sports headphones, perfect for exercise and various workouts. Also, your choice, if you are fashion savvy!
3.5 headphones are a better option if you have a computer with a quality soundcard. In this case, you can use them for gaming without bothering about sound distortion. Here, they also perform well as bass headphones, perfect for studio purposes and sound engineering.
USB headphones cover a wide range of functionalities. There is a good chance that you may not need the other two options if you have one. They are the typical choice for gaming systems, suitable for telework, perfect for telecommunication, and one of the best options for voice-over artists. However, they are the most expensive option, and as the saying goes, “you get what you pay for!”